You have seen my Top 20 Pantry Must Haves so the time has come to unveil my Top 11 Refrigerator Must Haves. I know 11 is an odd number but it’s my list and I just could not leave one of these items off.
These are the basics that I try to have on hand at all times. Having these items in the refrigerator makes throwing delicious meals together much easier. With the items on the following list, along with the items from my pantry and freezer, I know I have tons of options for healthy and flavorful meals not to mention delicious baked goods.
1. Jalapenos: We like fresh but we also try keep pickled jalapenos on hand too.
2. Salsa: We go through a lot of salsa in our house. Besides all of the normal options for salsa such as tacos and quesadillas, salsa is great on eggs, potatoes, chicken, and mixed in black beans.
3. Cheese: Sharp Cheddar is a great for slicing and shredding. A nice crumbled cheese like feta, blue cheese or goat cheese is also nice to have around to toss in omelets, salads, and pasta.
4. Plain Yogurt
6. Real Butter: If I am going to use butter I prefer the real stuff.
8. Applesauce: We go through a lot of applesauce as a snack in our house but applesauce is also one of my favorite go to baking ingredients. I add it to breads, cookies, snack bars, cakes, pancakes and more. I make sure to buy the no sugar added varieties because for one apples are sweet enough on their own and for two I like to control the amount of sugar in my baking.
9. Natural Peanut Butter: I love natural peanut butter. Nothing but peanuts and salt, just the way it should be. Natural peanut butter should be kept in the refrigerator and in my humble opinion tastes best without added oils such as palm oil, I would rather have to stir my peanut butter the first time I open it than have the flavor of palm oil in my peanut butter.
10. Flax Seed Meal: There is rarely a baked good that I do not add flax to. Besides the fiber and omega-3’s flax has a nice slightly nutty flavor. A tablespoon or two of Flax is great in breads, cookies, cakes, oatmeal, pancakes, pizza crust and more.
11. Yeast: We go through a lot of yeast so I buy it in large packages which can be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
So go ahead lay it on me, what foods do you always keep stocked in your refrigerator?