13 Ways to use Tortillas in your Back to School Lunch Packing

on Aug 8, 13 • by • with 47 Comments

Pin It

Home » Evolving Kids, Featured, Kid Friendly Lunch » 13 Ways to use Tortillas in your Back to School Lunch Packing

Back-to-school time is in the air. If your kids aren’t already in school- like  my very happy to be a first grader, Madeline- they likely will be soon. So now is the time to start thinking about what you’re going to pack in those lunch boxes to keep your kids fueled with healthy, delicious, and fun food. I’ve teamed up with King Soopers through this sponsored post to bring you a few great new school lunch ideas. As a King Soopers shopper I was more than happy to head over to my local store and search out some great deals on great food. All the ingredients for these brand-new back to school lunches were found in my local King Soopers. As a big fat bonus I went ahead and threw in a slew of tried and true Evolving Motherhood Kid-Friendly Lunches from our archives! If you’ve spent much time around here you have likely noticed tortillas are one of my always-have-on-hand items. They are perfect for lunch making and give you the option to change things up from your standard sandwich. They make for easy breakfasts, lunches, and dinners and they are pretty easy to whip up on your own if you get the urge even. Better yet good quality tortillas made from quality ingredients are pretty inexpensive if you are buying them in the store and even less expensive if your making them yourself. With my love of tortillas in mind and with Madeline heading to her first day of first grade today, I’ve compiled a great list of tortilla-centric school lunch ideas your kiddos are sure to love. All are kid tested in the Evolving Motherhood household and very much mom approved. You’re kids might even thank you for changing things up and packing something other than a standard PB&J. Make-your-own mini soft tacos 1. Make-your-own mini soft tacos What’s in the Lunch Box

• Whole wheat tortilla rounds cut from a large whole wheat tortilla
    • Taco meat
    • Black beans
    • Shredded cheese
    • Tomatoes
    • Lettuce
    • Sour cream
    • Red grapes

3-Cheese quesadilla pinwheels 2. 3-Cheese quesadilla pinwheels What’s in the Lunch Box

Make-your-own mini pizzas 3. Make-your-own mini pizzas What’s in the Lunch Box :

• Whole wheat tortilla rounds cut from a large whole wheat tortilla
    • pepperoni slices cut into small triangles
    • Slices olives
    • Shredded pizza cheese
    • Tomato sauce
    • Mini Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabar
    • Mixed green salad tossed in balsamic with grape tomatoes and carrots

ideas for using tortillas for school lunch Other Evolving Motherhood School Lunch Ideas: 4. Banana roll 5. Salmon and Mozzarella Quesadilla 6. Strawberry-Banana Wrap 7. Turkey Salami Pinwheels 8. Peanut Butter and Jelly-dilla 9. Healthy Chicken Salad Wrap 10. Egg Potato and Chorizo Quesdilla 11. Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito 12. Tuna and Apple Melts 13. Festive shaped quesadillas such as these Stars and Valentine’s Day Xs and Os

——————————————————————————————————————-

Now it’s your turn! King Soopers is giving one lucking Evolving Motherhood reader a $25 King Soopers gift card so you can do some affordable, delicious, and fun lunch shopping of your own. 1. To enter leave a comment about lunch packing. It’s as easy as that. What is your favorite way to use tortillas for lunch? Do your kids get tired of the standard PB&J? Do you love packing lunch? Do you hate packing lunch? Do you wish you were eating lunch right now? What’s on your lunch menu today? Anything lunch packing related goes. 2. For one additional entry Repin this pin to one of your fabulous Pinterest boards and leave a comment with the link to you repin: http://pinterest.com/pin/282108364131542271/ 3. For one more additional entry follow me on Pinterest and leave a comment with your pinterst URL. There you go three easy entries to win grocery money! Entries will be accepted until Friday, August 16, 2013 at 11:59pm and the winner will be drawn Saturday, August 17, 2013. This post was sponsored by King Soopers. All these amazing, fantastic, and yummy lunch ideas are mine and mine alone.

ack to school lunch ideas

————————————————————————————————————-

Edited to add: Many of you have asked about our awesome lunch box because, well, it’s awesome. We use Laptop Lunches bento boxes and containers. (affiliate link) We love them. I mean LOVE them. They are easy to use and offer many different configurations all in one lunch box through their different containers. The containers are easy to use, clean and get creative with to boot, and best of all they hold up to the test of time. We’ve been using ours for a couple of years now with now need for replacement.

Print Friendly

Related Posts

47 Responses to 13 Ways to use Tortillas in your Back to School Lunch Packing

1. Heidi says:

I don’t have kids, but took notes for myself because EVERYTHING tastes better wrapped in a tortilla! :-)

2. Haley says:

This is our first year packing lunch, so it will all be an experiment for me.

• Catherine says:

Lunch packing is pretty fun when you try to mix things up. I think you’ll find that new lunch box of yours will help with your creativity too.

3. Jessie Turner says:

Thanks for the ideas. Riley loves tortilla and they will be safe in his nut free school. We are big fans of peanut butter, almond butter, pretty much any nut butter at home. Adding this to my inspiration board on Pinterest for when I get in a lunch rut.

• Catherine says:

With the exception of the Larabar and Coconutty granola bar all three of the new lunches featured above are nut free so they would work well even in your nut free school.

4. Kyle says:

Thank you, Catherine! I’ve been gathering ideas since we’re transitioning to kindergarten this year and I’ve been trying to find foods and packaging that my daughter can open and enjoy without the help she’s used to in pre-school. The strawberry banana wraps and fun shapes will be a big hit. Off to check out your other school lunch posts!!

5. Shana D says:

Oh my gosh this is awesome! We love tortillas here but the kids are burnt out on quesadillas, this will come in handy when school starts.

6. Rebecca says:

What a great post! I have been packing kid friendly lunches for only two months and have been needing new ideas. Prior to reading this I had only ever used a tortilla with almond butter and jelly in a lunchbox. You are so full of great ideas!! Why I am not surprised;) On our lunch menu today was deli chicken breast roll ups filled with Swiss, avocado and mustard, grapes with peanut butter for dipping and cottage cheese.

7. Kate Kelly says:

I’ve only had to pack lunches for myself and my husband but he was complaining about how he was getting tired of sandwiches all the time. So today, no joke, I bought a whole bunch of tortillas from Costco. Then I get on Facebook and see this lovely post! AMAZING!
    I am totally going to take some of these ideas and make them for a big construction worker! Can’t wait, thanks!

8. Laura says:

My kids like tortillas, cream cheese and black beans in their lunch. Who would have thought?!?

9. Tiffany says:

Great ideas!! I am going to try these with the boys. :)

10. Gillian Bliss says:

You can never have too many lunch ideas to keep in your arsenal.

11. Gillian Bliss says:

I follow you on Pinterest

12. Samantha says:

The taco meat is safe to eat after being out of the fridge/not heated?

• Catherine says:

Good question, Samantha. I pack use an ice pack inside of my daughter’s insulated lunch bag to keep things cold until lunch time. She also has access to a microwave in her cafeteria at school to heat her food as needed.

13. My lunch for today is packed in an adorable lunch bag given to me by Lala Girl for my birthday. :) It has squirrels on it, Oh.. and it has a potato in it (for baking at work) and a salad. Simple but I’m looking forward to it.

14. We are Pinterest Friends (Suzanne Bastien)

15. Chrissy says:

I like to use tuna salad and cream cheese spread it on the tortilla, wrap it up like a jelly roll and slice.. The kids love it.. and a great way to get them to eat fish :)

16. Susan says:

My girls don’t like bread, so we do PB&J on tortillas or I mix Ranch dip mix with cream cheese, spread it on the tortilla and add turkey and cheese. YUM!

17. Julie says:

I teach full day preschool and have been looking lately for links I can give to parents to help them with packing healthy and interesting lunches for their kiddoes (not to mention looking for some ideas for my own lunches!) I love the idea of using tortillas because they’re fun and versatile. Your ideas are great!.

18. Erin says:

These are so helpful. Every year as school approaches, I vow to have better lunches for my kids. Every year after about a week, I have given up.

19. Sue says:

Those are great ideas. I like to freeze homemade bean & cheese burritos for quick lunch packing. My kids also like hummus pinwheels too.

20. Brittany says:

I am not too fond of packing lunches but these are awesome ideas!!! I just packed a homemade lunch ankles for the boys lunches tomorrow :). They are excited!!!

21. Nancy says:

This is my first time packing lunches, as well. And my kindergartner and I have been planning menus. And we were pretty maxed out at wraps and meat spirals as our tortilla option. We will have to try the pb&j. Thanks

22. Anita M says:

Where did you get those cool lunch boxes with all the little compartments? I use those tiny glad containers but they are round and don’t always pack well.

• Catherine says:

It’s a Laptop Lunches American style bento. I’m in love with it. So much so that I’m buying more so I can have one for me and the baby to use for our outings. You can see all of the styles, colors and possible add-ins on their website: LaptopLunches.com

23. Joyce says:

My son is going to preschool this year and I am excited to make snacks and pack lunch. I am sure my story will change halfway through the year, but right now I can’t wait!

• Catherine says:

I packed lunches for preschool, and kindergarten and now we’re into first grade and I’m still having fun! Good luck to your little guy on his new adventure!

24. David says:

Aside from the traditional sandwich and chips, I always put 2 snack cakes in the lunchboxes. Not only do the kids love them, but their classmates will certainly be jealous!!!

25. David says: