G is for Garden. Also, g is for garden.
We have been working on lowercase letter recognition lately. This weeks letter was “G”. To go along with “G” we talked about gardening. Seeds, plants and growing things. To connect the letter, the sound and theme together we made “G” gardens.
- Brown Paper
- Glue Stick
- Elmer’s glue
1. Draw a upper and lower case G in block lettering on brown construction.
2. Cover each letter with glue using a glue stick.
3. Press soil onto glue in both upper and lower case G’s.
4. Place dots of school glue sporadically over the dirt.
5. Place seeds on glue dots to simulate planting seeds in a garden.
We talked about “g” words that had to do with gardening, adding the words to the page around the letters as we said them, using both upper case and lower case g’s. This was a great way to talk about seeds and how different seeds grow into different plants. We used bell pepper seeds, pole bean and snap pea seeds, carrot seeds and a few other left over seeds from previous years gardens.
This was a great activity that the girls enjoyed and it made “G” and “g” very memorable for the girls.
Books we used with our garden theme: